Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Friday, August 22, 2014

Even Animals Should Have Personalities

As an avid dog lover, I found this site absolutely hilarious. It shows the mischief people’s dogs get into and, on occasion, the results thereof. It also made me appreciate how well behaved my dogs are, even if one did take off with my shoes this morning and another did her business in my parents’ bedroom.

But all the humor left me with one significant thought when it comes to writing. Animals, perhaps because they can so easily become moving props, are often lacking in personality in writing. But in actuality, giving an animal, even a minor character animal, a touch of personality goes a long way. Think of all the animals in fiction and movies, especially the ones that weren’t the main characters. The ones with distinct personalities were much more likely to touch you, and I’m wiling to bet that those are the ones you remember.

So, with that thought, I encourage you to check out these adorable and hilarious examples of mischief.

See you Monday for the next round of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

No comments:

Post a Comment