Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Friday, September 13, 2013

Good Among the Bad


Happy Friday the 13th, everyone!

Over the past few months, life has thrown me a lot of curveballs. I’ve dealt with severe sickness, job loss, and death in the family. This year has almost made me suspicious of the number 13. However, I like Friday the 13th. I was married on it. I didn’t have any trouble booking whoever I wished as a result. Plus, my best friend from elementary school’s birthday was on the 13th, and it was always fun when that came on a Friday.

Which brings me to the main point I wanted to make today.

Even amongst all the struggle my family and I have endured these past few months, yesterday reminded me that there can still be goodness and joy.

Yesterday, while catching up on email, I came across an email from a fan who had reviewed my book, Red and the Wolf. She had heard about it through the Story Cartel promo I did in July and August. Even though her email was mainly to let me know about getting her review up and that she’d done a special post on Red and the Wolf on her blog, it was filled with such glowing praise and appreciation for my storytelling, that it boosted me straight up. It was one of those little joys amongst sorrow and struggle.

So how does this idea that even during life’s dark times there can be goodness and joy relate to stories? It means that, while you’re throwing stones at your characters up in those high trees, while it’s pouring rain on your protagonist, remember to give them little moments of hope, joy, or goodness. It helps keep your reader reading.

Be sure to swing by Monday when we'll begin our read of Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on that email, Laura. It couldn't have come at a better time for you give all you've had to deal with this year.

    ReplyDelete