Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Friday, August 23, 2013

Preparing for Worldcon


This year, Worldcon, the massive convention for speculative fiction hosted by the World Science Fiction Society, which hosts the Hugo Awards, is Lone Star Con 3 and, much to my delight, in my home state of Texas. Since I learned it would be in San Antonio, I have eagerly anticipating it. In fact, it will possibly be the biggest highlight of my year.

So, am I nervous? Absolutely. A huge number of honored guests will be there who I dream of rubbing elbows with or, better still, being friends with, and if I happen to get lucky enough to be stuck in an elevator with one, say Joshua Bilmes, Tom Doherty, George R.R. Martin, or Brandon Sanderson, I’d like to make a good impression.

For me, as a new professional author who hasn’t become a big name yet, I’m in a weird place socially. Technically, other authors are my peers, but it’s like I’m the freshmen at the beginning of summer break who has barely even set a toe inside high school, and these guys are the senior varsity football champs. I’m part of the whole authorial circle but not in quite the same way. It’s an odd place to be.

Regardless of any jitters, Lone Star Con 3 ought to be awesome. Of course, nothing is quite like what any of us expect, but I already have fantasies running through my head of the fun and excitement. Even imagining sitting crammed between two other attendees while scribbling notes during a seminar like guzzling nectar sounds exciting.

There will be balls and parties, both of which have me going “Squee!” inside. Though, I haven’t a clue what I’ll wear yet. There’s a Victorian ball, and I’m fresh out of Victorian dresses. Hmm, with the obsessing over popular people and clothes, this is sounding more and more like high school.

Seriously, though, it will be a lot of fun. If anyone plans to be there, feel free to say “hi” if you spot me. I’m short, and my picture is to your right. I’ll do a spot on September 13 with highlights of the event. Until then, a few announcements:

1. Thanks to everyone who swung by and did a review for my book, Red and the Wolf, with Story Cartel. Red and the Wolf collected a whopping 38 reviews, which is more than I expected. I appreciate everyone who helped spread the word and participated. Thank you!

2. The three winners from the drawing on Story Cartel are as follows: Miriam Smith, Amber Bruce, and Myka Reede. Congratulations! I hope you all enjoy the Amazon gift cards I’m sending your way.

3. On Friday, September 6, K.M. Weiland will join us for a special interview, so make sure to spread the word and swing by.

4. Even though I will be at Worldcon next Friday, I’ll still have a post. So make sure to come by then too to learn a bit about poison rings in the Middle Ages. Thanks to Blogger’s lovely feature which allows me to postpone a post until a certain date, you don’t have to miss out.

Have a great weekend, and be sure to drop by for our second to last chapters in our read of K.M. Weiland’s Dreamlander, including tips for writers using Weiland’s work as an example.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh. This conference sounds like fun. A Victorian ball! How fun! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love the Victorian Ball! Wow.

    Have a great time and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete