Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Friday, August 17, 2012

Tissue Removal with Sound Waves: Technology Amazes

My son just had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. He’s following in the footsteps of his mother. The procedures run in my family. However, this time, the aftermath was dramatically different from my harrowing childhood experience with the surgery.

When I had these procedures done, I didn’t talk for days. I barely moved, and I would have been content not to breathe for quite some time. Lying on the living room couch, scratching out brief messages for water and a blanket on my mother’s notepads because the pain of talking was too much to endure remain vivid memories. My tonsils and adenoids were burned out, apparently a far more traumatic process than today’s methods.

My son, on the other hand, has been talking since he awoke from his procedure where both tonsils and adenoids were removed with sound waves. Yes, his throat hurts something terrible, but he can eat, drink, and even argue. That in and of itself signifies to me the incredible advances of medical technology.

When has technology made a dramatic improvement, or downgrade, for something in your life?

2 comments:

  1. They were removed with sound waves? Wow. I didn't know that was possible.

    ReplyDelete