Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Delight of Being an Aunt to a Book

My critique partner and dear friend, Jessi Gage, informed me that she finally has an exact release date for her first published book, Wishing for a Highlander, January 1, 2013. She is naturally thrilled, but I too am ecstatic with joy for her. Jessi put a lot of work into this novel, and I hope she reaps even greater dividends. However, unlike most people, I have a special relationship with this book as I was there from the beginning when Jessi first conceived the idea to holding my breath with her until she received that wonderful news of an offer.

As a critique partner, there’s a certain thrill that comes from being a part of the whole process of a novel coming into fruition, maturing, and going out into the grownup publishing world. It’s a bit like being an aunt, I suppose, watching from afar, encouraging, and occasionally getting the treat of spending time with the child/story.

As the release date draws nearer, I’ll share more about Wishing for a Highlander. Until then, let me share the two things that make critiquing for Jessi such a joy.

First, her characters are wonderful. I have read a number of romances, historical romances specifically, and rarely encounter characters as relatable and likable as those Jessi creates. Her heroes are a joy to fall in love with, and, more, they are men of noble hearts and worthy of respect. Her heroines are girls I actually enjoy spending time with. So often in a novel, the heroine does little to nothing for me. I usually end up reading for the hero. However, Darcy and Melanie from Wishing for a Highlander are as real and as enjoyable of people as you could hope for in a Scottish historical romance.

Second, Jessi Gage is a fantastic person and a real joy to work with. She’s a great balance between brutally honest and encouraging and compassionate. I am a much better writer for her involvement in my books. I hope I have helped Jessi even a small fraction of that.

Get ready to start next year with Wishing for a Highlander by Jessi Gage. It’ll be the first thing on my Kindle in 2013.

7 comments:

  1. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. I've been following Jessi's posts on her blog and didn't realize you were critique partners. Cheers to both of you! Jessi's book sounds wonderful and I loved the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jessi loves the cover. It so perfectly fits Darcy, her hero.

      Delete
    2. I'm one of your fans, too, Mae Clair. I love how consistent and thoughtful you are with blogging. Cheers right back atcha!

      Delete
  2. So glad for Jessi. I know what you mean when your CPs publish something you had a hand (however small) in shaping. It's a good feeling and great motivation. Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bluestocking, and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Awww! You are so wonderful, Laura!
    <> I'm going to coin the phrase: brutally compassionate:) That's me, the brutally compassionate CP!-)

    Thank you, dear friend, for the kind words. You are a wonderful talent yourself. You go so deep into a character's psyche that part of the adventure of your stories is the epiphany of self discovery. And your descriptions soar with beauty.

    Wishing for a Highlander wouldn't be where it is without you. And I'm so thrilled your Red and the Wolf will be coming out with Lyrical on Wishing's heels!

    ReplyDelete