Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Friday, August 3, 2012

Music for Writing

Source
Listening to music is one of my favorite things to do while writing. Pandora Radio frequently plays on my computer, and I have quite a few stations that I’ve created, three or four of which I utilize while writing. When I get stuck or start dragging, sometimes just switching what I’m listening to helps.

Occasionally, I hear a song that reminds me of a character, scene, or relationship I’ve written. Listening to those songs helps put me back in the mood.

Here are a few of my favorites. The songs often don’t match the time and setting of my stories, but the passion and themes are usually dead on.

“When I’m Gone” by 3 Doors Down. This one exemplifies Runen, the hero of my epic fantasy series.

“These Hands” by Jewel. This one perfectly fits Miryllind, the antagonist of that same epic fantasy, at least the first book. One of the reasons I enjoy the pairing of these two is because their roles in the story are unexpected. If you know these two songs, you’ll get a hint of what I mean.

“Can’t Change Me” by Chris Cornell works for Emile, one of my more minor antagonists, especially in regards to what Miryllind wishes to do to him.

Other songs I often like to listen to, depending on what I’m writing and in no particular order:

“The End of Innocence” by Don Henley
“I’ll Be” by Edwin McCain
“Screaming Infidelities” by Dashboard Confessional
“Turn the Page” by Bob Seager
“A Narnia Lullaby” by Harry Gregson-Williams
“My Lagan Love” by Carolyn Boulay
“Non C’e Piu” by Celtic Women
“Fields of Gold” by Celtic Women (Sting’s original version is also quite good.)
“We Are The Flank” by Randy Edelman

And just about anything from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera.

As you can see, I’ve got some range. I also have a CD of medieval harp music, various Celtic music collections, and soundtracks. I find useful tracks on practically all of them.

Does music help you do things? Clean? Study? Write? Work? What songs or type of music do you like listening to best when working?

No comments:

Post a Comment