Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Real Life that’s Too Unbelievable for Fiction

There are things in life that are too random to be true. I once heard someone say—unfortunately, I don’t recall who—that you can’t publish real life because people don’t believe it. Yet some of the most unique, inventive situations and moments come from everyday life.

Here are a few examples from my own.

1) At his first baseball game, my eldest son sat by the fence in a yoga position while waiting to bat. I still don’t understand why, but if I put that in a book, people would say it was way too unbelievable.

2) My husband and I really do say the same thing at the same time, especially when we’re feeling particularly close and life’s chaos hasn’t gotten the better of us. In a book, that would be cliché.

3) My parents’ dog has started eating the kid’s crayons. I’m not kidding.

4) When I was a kid, my dog literally unzipped my backpack, pulled out candy I had in there, ate it, and zipped the bag. He was an Australian Shephard. They’re on the smart end I guess.

5) My husband and I are 14 inches apart in height and I love it. That might just seem weird in a novel.

What are some odd moments or facts in your life that might not ever be believed in fiction?

1 comment:

  1. Those are all really cute things, especially the astronomical height difference between you and your husband!

    Let's see, what's too unbelievable for fiction in my life? How about the fact that when my husband and I have a fight, we tend to listen to each other's arguments and sometimes admit we were wrong. That NEVER happens in romance novels (LOL!) That's all I've got right now. I'll think about it and post something more serious if I come up with anything:)

    ReplyDelete