Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fate or Providence: Counting Blessings

Supposedly, big things in life come in threes: deaths, births, marriages. I have some experiences, particularly with the first, that suggests there may be some truth to this. In any case, rain or sunshine seems to come in bundles or bursts.

I’d heard a time or two of aspiring writers getting contracts one right after another after years of struggle. Until now, I’d thought it a nice story that happened to a few extremely lucky souls, but little more. (The optimistic romantic in me, though, often dreamed of it.)

In March, my dear friend and critique partner, Jessi Gage, received a contract for her highland romance, Wishing for a Highlander, which is due out in January 2013. In April, I received my first contract for my paranormal, fairy tale romance, Red and the Wolf, due out in April 2013. Then, in May, Amy Raby, Jessi’s friend and a writer I’ve come to know and enjoy seeing online, though I’ve been rooting for her for over a year, since Jessi gushed over her fantastic novel, received her first contract.

The three of us getting offers in that short a time could just be coincidence, but I prefer to have greater faith and a more thankful spirit than that. One way or another, I could not have dreamt up much better of a scenario. Okay, I could. We could all have received offers on the same day with advances we could retire on for generations, agents begging to represent us, and preorders pouring in before we even signed our contracts, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

What the three of us have received over the past three months has been great, and I consider it an honor to share this experience with these two wonderful women and fantastic writers. Despite authors’ tendencies to be introverts, it’s an uplifting feeling to share in each other’s joys and triumphs.

I am thankful for the opportunity to publish, but I’m more grateful for these wonderful women sharing the journey with me.

4 comments:

  1. Cue the "Awwww!"

    This is so sweet, Laura. I was hugely rooting for you, too. I can't wait to buy Red and The Wolf.

    And I am so proud of Amy, too. I'm so blessed to have you both in my writerly network and as friends.

    Hopefully, this good thing will come in 4s as our friend, Julie, has some submissions on consideration, too:)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! I love that we've all become contracted authors at around the same time, and now we can share our experiences and help each other promote at around the same time too! I can't wait to read your book when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to read yours too, and I'm so curious how Jessi has changed hers since I critiqued it.

      Delete