Welcome

Welcome all dreamers, fantasists, bibliophiles, and romantics. Join me Mondays and Fridays for speculation about other worlds, exploration of the human heart and soul in fiction and fact, sojourns in history and science, advice and tidbits in the realms of story, and thoughts on everything in between...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Favorite Childhood Stories: Wynken, Blynken, and Nod and Goodnight Moon


As Christmas draws near, we’ve made special trips to the bookstore for my kids’ school gift exchanges. Mostly, we’ve been a fan of the Curious George books, which are adorable and not too expensive. But it has gotten me thinking about those books I loved as a child.

For me, two stand out and still give me delightful shivers when I read them: Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field and Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd. If you’re familiar with these two, you know they share some features: the moon, the night, and a beautiful magic to the words.

I recall seeing the pictures while curled up in blankets, my mother’s voice reading with a playful melody. The version of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod that we had was filled with gorgeous pictures that enchanted me right along with the poem’s magical language. I always loved the picture of the moon peeking through the window and of the cow leaping over it in Goodnight Moon. These are good moments from my childhood, stories that seeded my imagination with a love for the magical, beautiful language, and a fondness for nights filled with twinkling stars and a luminous moon. For me, they represent innocence, hope, and dreams, some of the most important things we can give our children.

What were your favorite stories as a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment